Assignment 1: Discussion—Application of Generic Strategies and Models
Often organizations enter the marketplace with one approach and model. As the economy and demands shift, and technology changes, it is important that organizations pay attention and adjust with the times. This module uses the example of Amazon and how the company proactively adjusted to changes in the market and changes in technology to acquire the position of number two behind the iPad. Amazon continues to develop reader or iPad type technology that goes beyond digital texts.
Amazon’s original aim was to be the world’s largest bookseller. The company currently offers a wide range of products and services in addition to operations in online retail storefronts for partners. The company has also developed and sold its own manufactured products such as the Kindle.
Review the main sections of Amazon’s most recent annual report available at the following link:
Respond to the following:
- What was the generic strategy originally applied?
- How has the company’s strategy changed? Which strategy applies now?
- How would you describe the central elements of Amazon’s strategy?
- What elements of low-cost provider strategy do you see?
- What are the elements of differentiation in the company’s strategy? For example, elements such as diversification or market timing.
(Apply required readings in all assignments)
Write your initial response in approximately 400 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
By Monday, May 13, 2013,
Assignment 2: Market Position Analysis
Throughout this course, you will conduct a strategy audit for a selected company. InModule 1, you selected an organization for your course project activities.
In this assignment, you will assess the product portfolio for your selected business unit by analyzing the value proposition, market position, and competitive advantage of its products and services. You will begin your analysis by identifying the business unit and the product(s) and service(s) you will focus on in this paper.
Complete the following:
- Conduct at least three interviews with your selected mid-level or senior managers. Use the interviews to solicit each manager’s understanding of your business unit’s market position, value proposition, and competitive advantage.
- Provide either full transcripts or annotated summaries of the interviews. Include them in the appendix of your analysis.
In your analysis, be sure to cover the following:
- Describe the target customer for the product/service in terms of relevant characteristics that impact the marketing strategy, including location (how it is reached) and buying habits.
- Identify each customer segment’s specific wants and needs. Explain why they buy your company’s product or service, or a competing product or service.
- Justify how well your product/service satisfies customer wants and needs. Identify any wants and needs that are not met by your product/service.
- Analyze your product’s position in relation to the competition. Identify 3–5 main competitors. Explain how your product differs in terms features, function, quality, price, availability, brand image, etc. Explain why this differentiation is important to your customers.
- Describe the source of competitive advantage for your product. Evaluate sustainability of this source of advantage.
- Assess the long-term sustainability of the source of differentiation and competitive advantage.
- Apply the five “P’s” of marketing to your product analysis.
- Provide a concluding paragraph in your report that recapitulates the findings of your interview.
Click here to download a template to use for comparing your product to that of the competition.
Support your responses giving reasons and examples from scholarly resources. Include the matrix in an appendix and add an extra page for your references.
Write a 3-page paper in Word format and attach the matrix as an appendix. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
By Saturday, May 17, 2013, deliver your assignment to the M2: Assignment 2 Dropbox.
Described the target customer for the product/service in terms of relevant characteristics that impact the marketing strategy, including location (how reached) and buying habits.
Identified each customer segment’s specific wants and needs. Explained why they buy your company’s product or service, or a competing product or service.
Justified how well your product/service satisfies customer wants and needs. Identified any wants and needs that are not met by your product/service.
Analyzed your product’s position in relation to the competition. Identified the main competitors. Explained how your product differs in terms of features, function, quality, price, availability, brand image, etc. Explained why this differentiation is important to your customers. Explained how the 5 “P’s” of marketing are represented in the analysis.
Described the source of competitive advantage for your product. Evaluated how sustainable this source of advantage is.
Included information from appropriate interviews.
Wrote using ethical scholarship and proper grammar and mechanics.