Assignment 3: Network Design Consultation
Due Week 10 and worth 200 points
Your neighbor is starting a small billing business and has asked you to design the network. Currently, you neighbor has nothing, but needs the following:
- 2 workstations, 2 laptops, and 1 server supporting 3 users
- Wireless networking
- 1 quality networked printer
- File and folder sharing
- Internet access
- Multiple email addresses
- Basic security environment (similar to home environment)
- Initial investment $5,000 or less
- Recurring costs less than $200 per month
With this information in mind, write an 8-10 page paper in which you:
- Recommend a design that meets all the customer’s needs.
- Create one (1) original drawing/diagram of the configuration. Use PowerPoint, Visio, Word, or other similar drawing software you are familiar with.
- Suggest network architecture and Internet access configuration.
- Describe hardware recommendations and related costs.
- Describe software recommendations and related costs.
- Provide a Cost Table listing all the items needing purchasing and the associated cost.
- Describe the basic configuration recommended for a secure computing environment.
- Cite at least three (3) references to articles from relevant, non-commercial, and non-wiki sources.
Note: If an assumption(s) is made based on customer needs, please state assumption and reasoning for related suggestion(s). Your assignment must:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific Course Learning Outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Contrast why different technologies are deployed in different contexts of networking, such as topology, bandwidth, distance, and number of users.
- Analyze and compare the characteristics of various communication protocols and how they provide application requirements.
- Deploy a basic Ethernet LAN and compare it to other network topologies.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in networking.
- Write clearly and concisely about introductory networking topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.