n this assignment, you will write an essay analyzing a primary source document (attached) Indian Home Rule.docx about how Mohandas Gandhi, an Indian lawyer who struggled for his country’s independence from British rule, addressed colonial values. By analyzing his attitudes about colonialism, you may find relevance to modern culture and wars as well as your own actions and priorities. You’ll explore whether Gandhi’s message of peace has continued relevance to you personally and to our culture.
- Mohandas Gandhi saw the fight for national independence as inseparable from the fight for justice, including equality for women, who had few rights under colonialism. Gandhi’s peaceful philosophy served as a source of inspiration to many and stood in sharp contrast to the renewed militarism that would soon lead another war. Write a 1-2 page essay about how colonization disrupts a true civilization according to Gandhi.
Use these questions to guide your thinking:
- What specific elements of colonial life, which was widely considered the most advanced representation of civilization at the time, does Gandhi reject?
- What values does Gandhi prize for a culture?
- How does Gandhi provide specific examples of failed cultures as he praises the virtues of an independent Indian nation?
Be sure to adhere to the following writing guidelines:
- Your essay must be 1-2 pages.
- Include specific examples from the primary source document.
- Your essay must be double-spaced using 12-point font, with 1-inch margins.
- For citations, follow APA format
n this assignment, you will read an article that presents several points of view about whether World War I was a cultural turning point. You will consider each opinion as well as your own ideas about the effects of the war on global culture, and then discuss the topic with your classmates. The link between war and its effects on culture is an important one. Understanding how world wars influence global culture, and taking it one step further to how the global culture is influencing the current events of today, can help you understand this modern world and the way global interactions influence and change societies.
Historians do not always agree on historical matters, especially when concerning causes and effects. Click the link to read a feature on World War I’s effect on culture: http://college.cengage.com/humanities/perry/humanities/1e/students/summaries/ch24.html
The two viewpoints described in the article are summarized here.
•Viewpoint 2: It [WWI] left unforgettable landscapes of destruction that marked the rupture from a safer past and produced a sense of foreboding that the next decades amply justified.
•Viewpoint 3: The war intensified intellectual patterns that already existed and helped to make sense of an experience that confounded any notion of an ordered universe. The challenges that cultural modernism posed to rationalism and objectivity before the Great War seemed validated beyond criticism by the events of 1914-1918.
Assignment is to : Choose one of these viewpoints and defend it. Your defense should be at least one paragraph, with specific examples.
they are two parts and should be in 2 seperate files using APA with references in each